In this paper, we have made several recommendations to the Design & Technology Association which are gathered together here.
The emphasis in these recommendations is on the leadership role of the Association; we are not suggesting in any way that the Association can undertake the role of re-building design & technology alone. All members of the community of practice along with those who support the subject of design & technology and those in positions of influence over the subject need to understand the key roles of Epistemology, Clarity of purpose, Good practice and Informed stakeholder perception in re-building design & technology as a key part of the school curriculum. All need to work with and in support of the Association in this endeavour.
Recommendations to the Design & Technology Association
- Establish an agreed orthodoxy regarding the knowledge, understanding, skills and values for school design & technology.
- Marshall support for a broader view of the purposes of school design & technology to include personal, social and cultural as well as economic aims.
- Promote and provide CPD that meets the research criteria for effectiveness.
- Establish financial support for effective CPD.
- Provide information materials, aimed at the various stakeholder groups, that subject leaders can adapt and use.
- Provide a mechanism by which subject leaders can feed the responses of stakeholders back to the Association.
- Develop training materials for design & technology ITE and CPD providers covering the key messages in this paper.
- Organise an invitation conference for these ITE and CPD providers to discuss and disseminate the materials.
- Encourage the design & technology community and its supporters to develop suggestions for action or change which are likely to gain a positive reception from Government.
- With key partners from industry and the professions, develop a statement of support for design & technology that clearly defines both the epistemological underpinnings and the broad purposes of design & technology education.
- Use this rationale as a platform to persuade others to be active in support of design & technology as a school subject.
- Convene an advisory body to explore and examine the issues affecting design & technology in schools from a wide perspective and to report annually in the form of strategic advice.
Previous: Informed stakeholder perception